11 July 2006

More slacking at work.

A productive weekend leads to an unproductive work week. Or at least that’s how it seems so far.

Last weekend was our first of two consecutive trips to London. Since next Saturday is when Mike’s mom is throwing my shower, we figured we wouldn’t get too much done in one weekend and needed to plan for two.

On Friday we met with my financial advisor to sort out Mike’s finances and create a sort of timeline for when we’ll be buying a home. We ended up feeding another $14k into RRSPs that have to sit there until October. I guess it was a good thing after all that we set up that wedding line of credit back when we got engaged. It will certainly come in handy when all our deposits are due!

Then we spent Saturday touring the city looking for photo locations. I felt like a total stranger in my own home town. We went to the tourism & info place and asked for ideas. I had no idea some of these places existed! Some Londoner I am. I noticed driving by that the scaffolding is still all over St. Peter’s. This is a huge bummer. According to their spring newsletter, they are replacing the West roof and repairing the stone work at the front of the church. It was supposed to be done shortly after Easter. Unfortunately it is now July and no one knows how much longer it will take. I guess we’ll have to use the East side of the church for pictures. Boo, but what can you do?

On Sunday we caught the tail end of the 11:00 mass to hear Andrew sing (a potential cantor). Then we met with the organist in the loft to go over music. We were really unprepared and he basically just told us what most people do. I managed to get the songs I wanted for my processional and the recessional. However, I’m not really keen on the songs we picked for the prelude, bridesmaids’ processional and for the signing of the register. There’s still time to change things I suppose. After that, we discretely measured our pew decorations on the pews and then attended the 1:00 mass. Lucky for us, our officiant Fr. Callistus was the priest for that mass. It was nice to be able to see him in action before our wedding! He has a bit of this William Shatner pause thing going on, but when he gets going he’s very eloquent and passionate. It’s kind of nice to see someone really get into what they’re trying to tell us. I find the guy from Christ the King gives his homilies like he’s half asleep or doesn’t care. After mass we met with Gloria the music director (who is also another cantor). We told her that we were interested in having Andrew as our cantor b/c he’s a guy and it’s just different. I think she was a little disappointed, especially since he is her student, but well… we weren’t digging the high soprano thing she was doing as much as his stuff.

Next weekend I have an appt at the nail place for a mani/pedi, then an appt at the Side Street Salon for a trim, then I have my shower while Mike’s going to help my dad either retile the upstairs bathroom or repaint the garage (or both) and on Sunday we have an appt with our decorator to go over final details. Whew. So much to do!

And this is why I’m too tired to do any work.

No comments: