22 November 2005

This is a place of work, not play.

Shannon & Laura,

On Friday I recieved complaints about a friendship forming between the two of you, which I will not further discuss. I have to remind you both that this is a place of work, not play, and friendships between employees will not be tolerated. Please keep any signs of a friendship to an absolute minimum. if I have any reason to believe that this is not happening further action will have to be taken.

Regards,
Boss

The above is an actual email received by an employee in Calgary from her boss. She was upset and posted this on a message board that I frequent. I have never before heard of such ridiculousness. Friendships between employees will not be tolerated? WTF? I don't have the whole story about what went down between "Shannon" and "Laura" that would make someone complain. I can only assume that they might have been acting unprofessionally (I think this girl and her friend are office admins)... but that really doesn't warrant a boss dealing with the situation by asking them to keep "any signs of friendship to an absolute minimum". Who says that anyways?

Hello? HR?... there's something you should probably take a look at....

No comments: