Like I was telling Ferda earlier, registries and showers suck all the fun out of weddings.
There is nothing you can do to please everyone, and when you try to do what you want, you please no one and get accused of being inconsiderate to your guests. I don't see why a couple who has lived away from home for at least a decade and that have lived together for over a year should need a wedding registry or a wedding shower (which is essentially another excuse to receive gifts from your registry).
*groan*
I don't know about you, but I hate wedding showers (almost as much as Stag & Doe's) and I prefer to give money as a wedding gift.
*rant rant rant*
I could go on but I'm just upsetting myself further. Bleh.
I understand that other people feel a need to do stuff for us just because we're getting married, but this is all very overwhelming and is ultimately unecessary. Registries and showers only exist because somehow they're expected, i.e. "It's tradition." I could never understand why the event of getting married includes an engagement party (which we got out of thankfully)and multiple showers (which we will hopefully work around). It's like excuses to get presents to celebrate a day where you will get more presents. How greedy is that?
If it were a perfect world, we would not have a registry, everyone would give us money to help us save up for a downpayment on a house, and instead of a shower we'd have a big-ass party where we get shitfaced with the people we like. Amen.
08 May 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
here here!
i'm personally dealing with my own wedding blues - some things to do with showers, some things to do with family and in-laws, some things to do with the crappiness of having to do things just for 'show'... we're all adults, why can't we all just get along??
if i could elope, and somehow avoid the familial catastrophe that would result afterwards because i would have made my family miss out on my wedding, i'd totally be there.
ahhh jill... i feel better just knowing that i'm not alone in this rant. people who aren't getting married just look at me like i have two heads for not wanting to be fussed over. people who have been married have blocked all the crappiness of wedding planning from their minds.
so that leaves just you and me, girlfriend!
I'm with you as well girls! It is SO good to know we are not alone!!!
- Rachel
Party on, Garth
Hah, James! You're the only one not stressing in here because a) you're a boy and b) you've already gotten married.
Rach, I hope your wedding planning blues don't last too much longer! The one month countdown starts soon right?
Post a Comment