08 June 2006

7 days post surgery

At the dentist yesterday I happened to run into my optometrist. Since we have been playing phone tag for several days I had a short chat with her and she squeezed me into her office for a quick look, even though I made an appt with her for my follow-up on Friday. *shrug*

Apparently I am testing 20/20 in both eyes, but I am struggling more on the right side. This means that the blurriness that I’ve been seeing is not so normal after all. She thinks that there might be a wrinkle in the flap of my right eye. The way she explained it was that because the surgery involved cutting a flap and vaporizing tissue from underneath it, sometimes when the flap is replaced there is too much flap for the surface that it is now covering. Extra flap can wrinkle.

This morning she spoke with the LASIK clinic and they want me to come in right away. In fact, when I called back the receptionist there to confirm my appointment, she gave me a big lecture. The nerve! She reminded me that when I was in last, they had told me if anything went wrong I was to contact the clinic right away, not my optometrist. She also accused me of rubbing my eye (which I have been VERY careful not to do!) and essentially told me that I did this to myself. What a bitch. So anyway, I get to see this bitch this afternoon at 1pm. Maybe I’ll wag my finger at her a little and tell her that flap wrinkles can happen spontaneously and that she can’t jump to conclusions about me rubbing my eye. I’m not dumb enough to go rubbing my eyes after surgery… if not for the bacterial contamination risk alone, then for the fact that I am acutely aware that there is a flap in my eye that will be disturbed if I were to rub.

There is no surgeon available today. So if they check me out and decide that I need to have something done I will probably need to go back again tomorrow. My optometrist, not being a surgeon or anything, says that she thinks they will probably try to lift the flap and smooth it out again. Gross. I hope they can do something, and I hope it won’t cost me too much. (I’m kicking myself for not getting the extended insurance now, aren’t I?)

Jill, can you ask Daryan what he thinks about all this?

I’ll keep you all posted!

No comments: