31 July 2006

A fun and productive weekend

Thursday night was a big one. I spent hours checking prices on every single online vacation website possible for the El Dorado Royale. I looked at Aug 27 and Aug 28 departure dates, as well as casita suites and swim-up casita suites. It turned out that the swim-up casitas were way more expensive than the swim-up part was worth to us. I found the cheapest price at Holidaymarkettravel.com which was about $22 less than the same package at Selloffvacations.com. Since we liked dealing with Selloffvacations when we booked (and then lost) our trip to Costa Rica, we decided to get them to price match. They did, and beat the Holidaymarkettravel price by an extra dollar (a dollar saved is a dollar earned, right?) and gave us a $50 voucher on our next vacation. So now we are all set to go to the Mayan Riviera, Cancun. The more I think about it, the better this vacation sounds. Not only do we get to stay at what was voted the best AI in the world, but we get to leave a day later and thus get to enjoy our wedding reception more. We also inadvertently solved our problem of how to get to the airport and what to do with our car, since now we get to drive ourselves home sometime on Sunday and can take a cab to the airport on Monday! Everything is coming up Millhouse!

On Friday morning I got to move to my new office. Yay! In the afternoon Mike and I went to the Farmer’s Market for fruits and veggies. I think the Friday selection is pretty sad. I guess Sunday is the way to go. Not one vendor was selling corn on the cob. What a shame. While I was trolling the internet on Friday I discovered that our vacation went up in price by $30, so it felt good to know we got a deal. I would have been kind of annoyed if the price dropped again after we had already booked it.

On Saturday we went to Kitchener to visit our friends Jill and Daryan at their new home. It's beautiful and feels so cozy already. We had a delicious dinner there with Mark, Regan, Aaron, Heidi, Jeremy and the kitties. It was a lot of fun to catch up and reminisce. We brought Jill and Daryan a set of A-Z bookends for their new place. Are we losers because we ended up liking them so much that we added a set of them to our registry on Sunday? LOL. We were pleasantly surprised in return when they gave us an early wedding present. It was so sweet! I can’t wait to make pie and mini muffins… I think I might go out and buy some pears tonight to try Jill’s recipe. We’ve already tried out the ice cream scoop and Mike is very happy b/c I think he was tired of bending all our spoons. I guess this means we’re going to be eating a lot more ice cream for dessert! It was also nice to get to know Daryan. In the true form of male-bonding, Mike likes him already purely because he had Simpsons quotes at the ready all night. I wish I had remembered that he had gotten laser eye surgery recently. I would have liked to have picked his brain about that. Alas, the night grew long and we had to head home to bed.

On Sunday we slept in, did some laundry, ran errands at the mall… Who knew some cleanser and toner would come to $63? Damn you Aveda. Oh well. It will be worth it. Plus, since I spent more than $50 I get a free facial waxing. Hmmm… what to wax, what to wax? (I bet you don’t hear that every day.) I also bought a couple of cute skirts for Cancun and we ended our productive day with taking a stab at our seating plan.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a good weekend Jen!
In respect to your seating plan...take it from someone who has been there and don't try and do it 2 nights before the wedding! It will not be a good night!
Rachel :)