It's my mother of course. She called because she wanted to tell me that since my aunt is coming to Toronto this weekend, she is asking her to pick up boxes of moon cakes for my relatives for me - I can pay her back later. What?
As I scratch my head she explains...
- Thanksgiving weekend is the Moon Festival (and Jill & Daryan's wedding, Thanksgiving, and the kick off to Oktoberfest!)
- The Moon Festival is a "BIG DEAL" <-- that's how she said it, I swear
- Now that Mike and I are married and since my relatives were so generous by coming to the wedding and bringing us gifts, we are obligated to buy them moon cakes
Huh. That's interesting. We were just planning on sending a nice thank you card with a heartfelt handwritten note inside. Moon cakes, eh? Not that I am ungrateful for the love and support everyone showed us... not that I am ungrateful for their generosity... but explain to me why some people must get moon cakes?
Also, does this mean I am entering a vicious cycle of gift-giving where we keep buying gifts to thank people for buying us gifts? This does not sound like a good idea since all our savings are kind of tied up right now. The month of November will be blessing us with paying for two homes (mortage AND rent) and double utilities, not to mention closing costs and the downpayment on our mortgage.
If there is one thing I have learned in my 28 years of dealing with my mother, it's this: Just agree. It's much easier that way... even if it means spending a hundred dollars or so on moon cakes. Argh.


3 comments:
Moon cakes, huh?
Ever tried one? They're like a diabetic's worst enemy.
I should send you and Ferda a box, since it sounds like I am supposed to be supplying the world with moon cakes these days.
Wow! Who would have thought the entire world's supply of moon cakes could be produced by one woman in ontario?!
Seriously, I don't know why, but each time I say the word 'moon cakes', I totally crack up and start laughing.
Post a Comment