22 November 2006

Webmessenger woes

As many of you know, I use Webmessenger to sign onto MSN Messenger at work because I can't download anything onto my laptop here. It has been extremely flaky these past couple of weeks - signing me off sporadically and telling me that they can't sign on any more users when I try to reconnect.

My appologies! I'm not disappearing on purpose. You know this is true because on most days, Webmessenger is the most social contact I get at work. Sad, isn't it?

New on the work-front, my manager has put together an ammendment to my contract. It's not as bad as I thought. Maybe it was because I had mentioned that I'd like to stay as long as I can before the company closes for the holidays. She gave me until the 21st, which is a Thursday. I think it's kind of strange not to just extend the time period out to the end of the week, but maybe it's bad ju-ju to let go of someone on a Friday? I'll probably appreciate it when the time comes and I'm struggling to prepare for our trip home to spend the holidays with all 3 set of our parents...

There's not been much opportunity for a new job so far. I'm not going to let that get me too down this Christmas. Hiring should start picking up again in January, so I hear. Let's hope so.

2 comments:

J i L L. said...

being in a situation of 'not working', here's some advice/a rant: our culture places way too much emphasis on jobs/working... why can't we just take time off for our selves? people always ask me 'what i do.' for the past few months i've been responding: "i'm working on some projects at home" (aka. crafting and online tetris). then, people either feel sorry for me or get annoyed that i don't have to work 9-5. why should there any shame in simply not working and waiting for something that we really love to come along? i *will* be employed in january, tho, so that makes me feel more productive :)

in other words, all the power to you, jen! you deserve to take the weeks up until christmas off. you've worked at a job that doesn't seem to value your abilities and you've earned the right to wait until the perfect job comes along!

Jen(nnn) said...

thanks for the pep talk Jill!

i don't think i have much choice but to take a bit of a break, so i figure i should try to enjoy it! there's lots of recipes waiting for me to try them out...

i didn't know you got a job for january. congratulations! we'll have to catch up at Heidi's party.