16 July 2007

Never take a long lunch on your 6th day of work!

I just had an utterly embarrassing moment at work, so rather than freak out about it, I’m going to take a quick moment to blog and calm myself down.

One of the girls at work invited me to have lunch outside today with another girl. I had thought this meant “outside”, like al fresco, but being a new immigrant to the country she really meant “out” like at a restaurant. Once I realized this, I couldn’t back out and eat the lunch I had brought with me, so the three of us drove to a little Italian place up the road for gnocci. Unfortunately when we got to the Italian place we found out it was closed, so we had to drive in the other direction to find something else. We ended up at a Japanese restaurant. We were already getting a late start, and we figured this restaurant wasn’t going to be a quick lunch, but Rose’s afternoon meeting wasn’t going to start until 2pm, and I had already had the two meetings in my calendar earlier in the morning.

Here comes the embarrassing part…

In one of my morning meetings, my manager invited me to join a training session on my project with another new girl. I had agreed to join in as a review on the reading I did last week, but it didn’t register to me that it would be this afternoon. When I got back to my desk after lunch I had a meeting alarm on my computer that I was 39 minutes overdue! Panic! I quickly grabbed my notebook and headed downstairs, only to be intercepted in the stairwell by my manager as she was returning from the meeting I had (now) missed. What a way to look like a fool on my 6th day of work! I apologized profusely, but I still feel like an idiot.

Upon further inspection of my calendar it urns out that my manager sent the meeting request 5 minutes after I had left for lunch, and had I returned on time it wouldn’t have been a problem… however, being late turned it into a huge SNAFU.

Gah. My manager says not to worry and that these things happen. But… boo-urns to me! Hopefully one of these days I will look back on this and laugh. For now, I am not amused. Not at all.

Does anyone else have any embarrassing work stories to share so that I don’t feel so bad?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh, gosh... i can only imagine how you must feel... but, i assure you, it probably only feels that way b/c you're new and they don't know how mature and responsible you are... as soon as they know the reliable you, they'll forget all about the long lunch!

how you're feeling better!
JiLL.