For now, here's an update on my "interview" from yesterday:
It was exactly what he described in his request - we sat in his office and talked about my career interests. First I recapped my background for him and then I talked about what brought me here. Then I went on to explain what my goals are and where I would like to be down the road.
I think it went well actually. He seemed impressed by me and everything I was saying. He even laughed at my jokes. All of my interests were coincidentally his pet interests too. Yay! He thinks that I am on the path to achieving my goals and he said that he has no doubts that I would be an excellent MPM. Sadly there are no MPM openings, otherwise he wouldn't hesitate to hire me (well then why didn't he interview me before D got the job?).
He gave me 4 pieces of advice:
- don't waste my time taking courses just to get more clinical knowledge under my belt
- contact his counterparts and get on their radar like I am now on his
- there may be a contract position coming up but don't apply to it b/c I should concentrate on finding something lengthier such that I can establish myself better (that was a strange thing to say I think)
- be patient (he thinks that having my contract end in December is PLENTY of time)
BTW, I just found out from Kiran that there maybe be a mat leave coming up in the fall... I wonder if that's the position he was refering to?
In essence, "networking" is coming back to bite me in the ass yet again. I'm just not the schmoozy type but it is becoming more and more apparent that it really isn't who you know anymore but WHO knows YOU. Gah.


No comments:
Post a Comment