I think this is the first Day-After-Boxing-Day that I have worked in probably 4 or 5 years. I’m not sure what the purpose of me coming in would be, except that, being new, no one told me NOT to come in so I have to assume that I should be here. Also since I’m a probationary employee for the next 3 months, I can’t take any vacation yet either.
So here I am in the office with a small handful of people hanging out. They all have things to do – me, not so much. I’m going to re-read some training materials just to make sure that I get the lingo and hopefully when I get shown how to do my job it will sink in that much more.
Today there has only been one small crisis so far. This morning I got a RFQ (request for quote) from one of our satellite directors in Texas. All the people listed on the email were either not from our Canadian office, or people I know are not here this week. The quote has a deadline of the 29th. I guess that leaves me, who has no idea what I’m doing. Nice. With the help of one of my coworkers, I think we have the situation under control… namely we are asking for an extension until someone who can do the feasibility assessment and quote is around. Whew. This gives me time to blog in between readings.
I hope everyone had a good Christmas. Mike and I did the usual whirlwind tour of Sarnia/London – three families in 3 days. Every Christmas I am reminded what little heathens children can be and I re-think ever wanting any of my own. In the days leading up to Christmas you think of how sweet the angelic little kids will be as they experience the magic of the season. In reality, they are running, screaming, snot-nosed monsters who throw tantrums over their gifts and who can’t behave for more than 2 seconds so that their parents can enjoy visiting with friends and relatives. The best part of the break was driving home to Mississauga for some peace and quiet with my hubby.
We weren’t going to exchange gifts this year with each other since my job situation was a little uncertain earlier this month and having a house kind of ties up our finances. We ended up venturing out to Best Buy last night for some Boxing Day sales and splurged on a Rogers PVR. Yay! We’ve wanted one for a long time and they were on sale $100 off. I think that’s a much appreciated new-job-4-month-anniversary-Christamas present to us. We tested it out last night by setting it to tape a Costa Rican episode of Survivorman which I will watch this evening.
Next on my list of things to do this week is plan the good eats for our NYE party. It doesn’t sound like it will end up being too crazy. Many of our friends are skipping town for the festivities and the lot who are around will be doing the drop-by thing. It sounds just perfect to me. My parents mentioned trying to make it out to see the house on New Years’ Day which would also be very nice.
That’s all I have to say for now. The next installment will be a bit of menu planning.
27 December 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
I wonder what will happen when one of your kids goes snot-nosed. I wouldn't imagine them being brats, but snot-nosed...that's hard to avoid.
But yeah, working during this week sucks.
We'll most likely do the "drop-by" thing as we have fam jams to attend to as well, but believe-you-me, we're looking much forward to it. Yay! Happy New Years!
Post a Comment