11 December 2006

Decisions, decisions...

As some of you may know, on Friday afternoon I was offered the job that I interviewed for last Wednesday. Now comes the hard part... deciding if I want to take it.

Firstly, the commute is exactly twice as far as I drive now... and considering that I've already been in a fender bender on account of driving this route, this doesn't really appeal to me. Secondly, the offer missed my actual salary expectations by $1/hr so it's hard to justify taking a job that doesn't even match what I make now (group benefits and non-contract permanency aside). Thirdly, and this is what stings the most, in preparing a copy of my degrees this weekend (just in case I decided to take the job) I ripped my UW diploma! Boo.

In short, this job has already gotten me in a car accident and ruined my hard-earned BSc diploma, and I haven't even started working yet. Is that a bad omen or what?

On the plus side, this job is a great foot in the door to clinical research which I have been having some difficulty getting into without any direct experience. Also, this is not some contract position where I'd be looking for another job again in the near future, and with that I get all the perks of being a permanent employee that I didn't get here... group benefits, qualification for mat leave, holiday pay and overtime... hell, I would probably even get a mail slot of my very own. I'm not too worried about finances for the house, but this way Mike doesn't need to worry either. My friend Danielle used to work for the same company and she did enjoy the people there as well as the job, so that's another good thing. The corporate culture at *insert my current company here* sucks big time and I am looking forward to a change.

This morning I called them to get more details about the various perks of being an employee (e.g. defined contribution pension plan, opportunities for advancement, etc.). Then I thought about those options and decided to let them know that although I am very interested in the position, I was hoping there would be some room for negotiation on the base salary. The HR lady told me that while there wasn't much room, there is some and would try to discuss it with the VP today. I think that's the responsible thing to do for me at this point. If they can't offer that $1/hr more, then I am fully comfortable with walking away and taking my chances in January.

I'll keep you all posted on what happens. If all goes well, I'll be starting next Monday!

3 comments:

J i L L. said...

best of luck on your decision process ahead!

and thanks for posting about allie! as i have been in hick-town alberta for the past few days, i didn't see that post until just now! she really is the cutest thing alive!!

signed, auntie JiLL ;)

huhboy said...

Congrats!!! Maybe!!!

(Think about it this way: on average, you'll work about 2000 hrs. a year. You'll get taxed on that extra $1/hr you want, so let's say instead you'll be making $0.60/hr. more. So really, you'll be sacrificing the cost of a cup of coffee a day [and I assume you don't drink anyway], and you won't have the pressures of sponsoring a child overseas. Yes, I'm aware of my rather unique rationalizing skills. Regardless, you go girl!)

Jen(nnn) said...

LMAO Jason! You should really make all my decisions for me. It's MUCH more entertaining that way.