12 December 2006

What’s the word you say?

Well I got my answer back from the HR recruiter. There will be no raise in base salary for me. She justified it with the fact that they already raised it from what they originally offered me and reminded me that with the pension matching program I’m in essence getting an extra $1700ish a year for my retirement savings. That’s the best they can do – keep in mind that they are really part of the service industry, not pharma - so while they are still “Canada’s leading CRO (Contract Research Organization)” they cannot be as profitable as your typical pharmaceutical company.

Hey, at least I asked.


Depending on how you look at it, she’s offering me a pretty good deal. I was judging the salary based on hourly figures, which is kind of like comparing apples to oranges. Just the fact that with this new job I would be paid for vacation and holidays already more than makes up for the difference in pay… since I am currently paid hourly and this job would be salaried it also means I am basically guaranteed the base salary and my pay will not fluctuate with my workload. On top of that it will be nice to finally have a group benefits plan (and one that covers quacktopractors and massage as well so I might be able to go back to Dr. S for my headaches and Mike’s back). Yay for stability!

I just hope I like it at the new place.

I informed my manager of the good (I got a job!) and the bad (they want me to start on Monday, suckers) news this morning. She was stone-faced as usual. I think she may be part robot. (Once I am no longer an employee, maybe I’ll tell you guys about her.) I wanted to talk to my director instead but she wasn’t at her desk this morning so I’ll have to catch up with her later.


Boy, this decision-making process has been tiring. Next time I will use Mark’s method and save myself the trouble:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Congrats! Welcome to the working world! I mean, hey, you're still in the working world!