03 January 2007

Ringing in the new year in silence

I woke up on the first day of the new year with a really hoarse voice which progressed into laryngitis through the day. This is my first time having lost my voice completely and it is surprisingly frustrating not being able to communicate. It's not even the communication thing so much as it is getting someone's attention so that you can charade your way through a thought.

My parents came to visit us for the day and took us out for a dim sum lunch. It's very rare that they both have the day off and can drive out this way so it was kind of nice to see them even if there wasn't much to do b/c everything was closed for the holiday.

On the 2nd I came back to work and was further frustrated becuause I was unable to talk to anyone. How's that for being antisocial? Not a good way to start out I don't think. I'm already kind of a loner because my desk is far from the main group. After 2 years of working essentially by myself I'm not sure if I remember how to make friends at work. :(

Today I still have no voice. I spoke with a nurse at Telehealth who told me that I should be better in a week. A week!? *sigh*

No comments: