05 February 2007

A rare dull moment at work

Either you guys really miss me, or I need to start posting pictures of FOOD on all my blog entries! LOL. I only kid. I really love the comments so don't be shy.

It's almost 3pm and I have found myself in a rare non-busy moment at work. I simply cannot continue on until I get two very specific emails - one about a study design and one about subject compensation. So here I am blogging my little heart out.

Today started out pretty bad. I hope that doesn't set the tone for the remainder of the week. When people bitch about work they like to throw out comments about wanting to quit. I have been guilty of this on more than one occasion. Today though... in all seriousness... I am considering quitting this job. I know I just started and I haven't even been here 2 months, but I can already see how it's going to be moving forward and I can't say that I like it. If you know me at all, you know I am NOT a quitter. I stuck through my last job to the bitter end, even though there were times I was treated no better than my manager's secretary. I stuck through my Master's program no matter how backwards things got and how frustrating times were. Yet here I am. Desperately wanting something other than this.

It's not the amount of work. In fact, I kind of like being this busy. The time flies by very quickly and I don't have to find creative ways to fill my work day like before. If I had to pinpoint the exact reason why I am unhappy I think it can be summed up by this: it's because I feel STUPID here. I'm not stupid, obviously, but I am made to feel that way - from having my concerns and opinions put down/ignored, to not being included on developing processes that involve me. It's like I don't count here at all. At first it was just my direct manager that caused this misery. Now I'm seeing that it comes from even higher than that. I think I have worked too hard to deserve this kind of treatment. I was thrown into my job with very little training and I managed to figure it out. I guess employers don't want those kind of skills these days. They just want someone who will blindly do things they are told without using their brain or their common sense. Who needs to understand what they do in order to do it? No one here.

I think that's enough wallowing for today. I don't want to get worked up again.

So... if any of you out there know of any job openings for someone like me, please do let me know!

6 comments:

Ferda said...

oh Jen, chin up - hang in there! I hope it gets better...

James said...

All I can see is the poster from the Simpson's with the kitten hanging from the wire with a distressed look on his face;

Hang in there kitty!

huhboy said...

You're not stupid. Your company is.

Hope things get better!

Jen(nnn) said...

Thanks everyone for the encouragement.

I think it's also a case of too many Chiefs and not enough Indians at this company. *sigh*

I just can't win! Why can't I find a job that I love? Why????

James said...

Chiefs and Indians??


Where the hell do you work!?

Jen(nnn) said...

I'm not sure James... I think it is the 7th circle of hell... but I could be wrong.