19 December 2007

It was just not meant to be.

Jasmine had her puppies yesterday! Or rather, I should say more correctly, puppy. Just one – a little girl.

We knew from the outset that PONs don’t tend to have large litters, but goodness… I was hoping for at least more than one. The breeder in North Bay sent me a very nice email late last night to let us know about Jasmine’s c-section and how there is only one wee girl to show for it. She was very nice about the whole thing and I could definitely sense her disappointment and surprise. She tells us that she has contacted the show home about the puppy and is waiting for a reply. I’m sure the show home will be happy to take her though I’m hoping for the slim chance that they don’t want her so we can jump in. I won’t hold my breath.

I wrote the breeder back first thing this morning thanking her for sending pictures and for letting us know what was up. I made sure to mention that we would definitely want her if the show home does not. I even gave her my cell # and told her to call me, even during the holidays, if anything changes.

Here are some pictures of the puppy (and also a fascinatingly creepy x-ray shot of Jasmine’s belly):





The breeder’s other dam Natalka is due to go into heat in January so they will be breeding her soon. That means there will probably be puppies ready to go home in May. There will also be puppies ready around that time from the Quebec breeder. It looks like we’ve come full circle again. Funny how that happens.

4 comments:

CraxyRaE said...

Aww - that's so sad...I hope the show home says no! I have my fingers crossed for you!!! But you should be first on the list in May at worst case right?

p.s. the cookies are a hit..thanks for the recipe!

Jen(nnn) said...

I hope the show home says no too! I've been looking up the breed standards and staring at those puppy pictures as if I have a clue what I'd be looking for. Ha ha. Maybe she's too big? Maybe she's too long? Maybe her ears are too low? Maybe I'm just nuts.

You're welcome, but it was more like instructions rather than a recipe. Anything where you don't dirty a single mixing bowl is not really a recipe. ;)

CraxyRaE said...

Unfortunately, she looks too cute to me, but I know nothing about the breed...

That's true, but no one else needs to know that! ;)

Guess I'll be seeing you tomorrow right? Do you need any directions?

Jen(nnn) said...

We'll just look you up on Google Maps. Or maybe I'll just follow my nose for all the yummy goodies. See you tomorrow! Can't wait!