14 September 2006

The perks are definitely perkier today

I’ve been pretty down and out lately about the sorry state of my career, job prospects and the shackles of the corporate life. Just basically kind of frustrated and saddened that even after all this schooling I’m still under-paid and under-appreciated.

Today however, I had decided to buy my lunch because I was sick of sandwiches. Lo and behold… it’s Lobster Day! Had I brought a sandwich for lunch today I would have missed Lobster Day this year. Last year, if you remember, I had the NY strip loin with the king crab legs, jumbo shrimp and Parisian potatoes. This year after being so gluttonous on our honeymoon and seeing the salivating madness around me in the cafeteria as I walked through, I decided on the YHYW option:

  • 1 ¼ lb whole boiled lobster
  • clarified butter and herb scalloped potatoes
  • corn on the cob

with an extra side of

  • 3 jumbo shrimps with cocktail sauce

Yummy! The perks are definitely perkier today. Once a year I fall in love with this place all over again. I’m sure that feeling will pass tomorrow, but I’ll enjoy it while it lasts.

I sat down with my lunch at one of the seats cleverly marked with a paper “How to Eat Lobster” placemat. After savouring my 3 gigantic shrimp, I took a look at my lobster. He was staring back at me, urging me not to make a fool of myself in front of my colleagues in the cafeteria. So I packed him up and brought him to my office where I could figure out how to get the yummy goodness into my mouth in peace (and with fewer casualties).

If I’m still here next year, I think I will go back to my good old stand by of king crab legs. They slice through the crab legs lengthwise here so it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to eat them. That is much more than I can say for my friend the lobster.

No comments: